In addition to various manifestations, excellent food, beautiful mountains and the incredible azure waters of the Adriatic Sea, Budva hides the beauty of the cultural heritage of Montenegro. Monasteries surrounding this unusual city around it create an aura of tranquility and spiritual wealth. Each stone that embodies these monasteries testifies to the rich history that has been happening in this area for hundreds of years. The serenity that you will feel in one of these architectural and religious miracles while listening to the breeze and inhaling the healthiest air of the pine forests, will tempt you to return to the Budva at least once more.\
Monastery of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin
The monastery dedicated to the Assumption of the Holy Virgin is also known by the names of Podmaine, Podostrog or Maine. It is mentioned for the first time in 1630, and according to the architectural characteristics, it can be concluded that it was built earlier, most probably in the 15th century. During the second half of the 18th century, the monastery met twice the vicinity of Venetian invasions, fortunately, these attempts were unsuccessful. Petar Drugi Petrović Njegoš liked to spend the winter in this monastery, and it is precisely here where he wrote a part of the “Gorski Vijenac” and “Svobodijada”. The building of the magnificent stone terrace that adorns the monastery is also attributed to Njegoš. In the complex of the monastery, there is a temple of the Worship of the Holy Virgin and the temple of the Dormition of the Most Holy Virgin.
This monastery was according to the legend named after a nearby source of water that miraculously had a taste and scent of peach. It is officially considered to have been erected around 1413 with the charter of Zeta’s ruler Balsa III that guarantees today that at the particular time it existed. However, the folk tradition says that a monastery was there since 1050 when one of the two churches located within the monastery was built, and according to the legend, the Church of the Holy Trinity, which was restored in the second half of the 17th century was created. It contains invaluable icons, documents, and frescoes from the 16th and 17th centuries. The second church is dedicated to St. Nicholas and contains the golden cross of Emperor Dusan brought from the Visoki Dečani as well as the “Stone of Justice” of Balsa III, which was attended by the tribal council of Paštrović. The monastery is also called The Soul of Paštrović.
This monastery carries the name of the Stanjević brotherhood and is called the Holy Trinity monastery in the church that is located there. It is located on the slopes of Mount Lovćen and dates from the XIV century. During centuries of existence, many people have remained in it that left an indelible mark in history, such as Peter I Petrović Njegoš, Petar II Petrović Njegoš, Dositej Obradović, and many others. During the uprising against the Austrian authorities in the 19th century, the monastery was mined and ruined, and the earthquake of 1979 destroyed it further. On the 680th anniversary of the existence of the monastery, it has been restored and today it is one of the most beautiful spiritual sanctuaries of Montenegro.